Tuesday, June 30, 2020

June

So, here we are in June...and this is still the "normal" look. We have opened up things a bit with wearing masks and keeping a social distance. Some stores and restaurants have opened. Nathan and I have gone back to art, but for the most part we are all still home. Miranda and Matt are working from our "home offices" and when I work it is mostly from the kitchen table.  I have been able to go into the school a few times to check in orders etc, but that is not the norm.  So, what have we been keeping busy with? What new crazy has this month brought to the table?  Let me fill you in...
Like I said last month, the cats are LOVING being outside more. Standford is big time mouser. He catches field mice a couple times a week from the field behind our house. He brings them back into the yard to use as a plaything for a bit before he eats them.Sad, yes, but at least we will never have problems with rodents when we have him around.
Beautiful sights from evening walks
The lilies in our front yard in bloom.
Catching up with the second grade team
I got to have a wonderful night catching up with my old second grade team friends. It was SO wonderful to get to spend time with them again. Seriously miss this dream team.  We had a fire in my backyard, roasted marshmallows, laughed so hard, and mostly kept our social distance...until picture time.  We were so sad that Aakshi couldn't make it. Oh how I love these people!!!  This night boosted my spirits greatly.


George Floyd, Protests, Riots, Curfews....
Well of course June was going to bring another strange event and some craziness...this is 2020 that we are talking about right? This is the more difficult topic to write about.  Craziness for sure, but maybe necessary? Maybe it will create change? Let's hope we take something from it, learn from it, and make something of it.  I'm not going to go into a lot of the details, I'm not sure how I would be able to.  Too much...too many thoughts...too many sides...too much emotion...just too much...that's the stuff for my personal journal. But, this can't pass without mention. It did impact me and my family--not directly mind you, but it opened eyes and provoked deep thought. Change must happen and Now is a great time to listen and learn and figure out how we can be a part of that change.

A black man was killed by a cop for no reason...again. This time America was going stir crazy from being on lock down and things got crazy with riots and protests around the nation and even in other countries around the world.  The first few days the real crazies were out--just to get out and create damage. Curfews were put into place to keep things controlled. Wal Mart shut their doors at 5pm for several days. 
But the more powerful protests were also there and continued to be there. Matt and I participated in a calm "family style" protest up in Day Break that was organized by black mom's in the community. The "protest" was complete with families, kids, everyone wearing masks, social distancing, songs, and chants. We walked down one of the main streets in Day Break. Very peaceful, very respectful of the police, but just as powerful and meaningful.



I hope to do my part in showing kindness to all and to make this a better place to live.
Hangin' with the Hatches..finally! 
We finally felt like it was OK to get a small group of Hatches together for a dinner. Our first get together since February for Nathan's birthday. We met in Paula's backyard for hamburgers and hot dogs and SO much fun just talking and spending time together...oh and to celebrate Caroline and Calvin's birthdays. Not everyone was able to make it and Ron was still kept away as he is prime age for this virus, but it felt so good to be back together!




The 17 year olds-Cara and Nathan..Nathan is just a bit taller...

OTTER!!!
Tyler and Callie finally got their new kitten!! Welcome to the family Otter! He is SO cute! Tyler and Callie are having So much fun with him. He is cuddly and has a lot of kitten energy. I just wish they lived closer so I could go squeeze those paws on a regular basis!

Neal's Day
They say the first is the hardest. It was hard. Neal would have been 45 on the 19th of June. To celebrate him we got take out Wingers and met family at the graveside. We told Neal stories. My heart still hurts. Our hearts still hurt. Neal you are still loved and missed daily- your movie quotes, your laughter, your taste in music, your smile, your kindness, YOU. 

A visit to the Great Salt Lake
Without having a BIG trip to go on this year, we have been trying to go out to local spots every other weekend. One night Matt, Nathan, and I went out to the Great Salt Lake State Park.  I had not been there in YEARS and I don't think Nathan had ever been there.  It was nice to pretend that we were at the ocean if only for a bit.  No going into the water here though. The boys still had fun throwing rocks into the water and we had some great views of the sunset.  




Mirror Lake Highway
Another fun day trip to see the beautiful area we live in. Matt, Jacob, Nathan and I spent a Saturday driving along the Mirror Lake Highway all the way to Mirror Lake.  It was a great day with beautiful weather for us.  It was fun not having a timeline to stick to and just stopping for walks when we wanted.  We walked the whole trail around Mirror Lake. It would be fun to go back sometime and hang out and play in the lake. Made me wish we owned a canoe or kayaks.



Again the boys had fun throwing rocks into the water. Mirror Lake was great for skipping rocks.



It was so beautiful and peaceful...
...except for all the stinkin' people! Everywhere we stopped was crowded. It's about all you can do during this pandemic. Now everyone is a nature lover. Can't wait for all the non regulars to go back to their ball games and BBQ's

So, that was June. Can't wait to see what trickery July has in mind. oh 2020...

No comments: