When Jacob came home for Thanksgiving break, he told us that he would like to spend a day with each family member before he went on his mission. We thought that was a great idea. So, as soon as he came home for Christmas break we started our "Day With J" as we dubbed it.
On Nathan's "Day with J" they started off at the nicklecade. From there they hopped on TRAX and went downtown to the Planetarium. They watched a show in the dome theater and then had dinner at the Gateway food court. Next, they walked to see all the lights at Temple square and then finally rode the TRAX back home.
On Tyler's 'Day with J" they started off at Cold Stone for treats then tried to go to the "ski free after 3" at Alta. Sadly, the canyon was closed unless you had chains..which they did not (yes, I admit , I didn't want them up the canyon that day either..) They then went to see Mission Impossible and had dinner at Subway.
For Miranda and Jacob their day was all about movies and food. They went and saw Footloose and the new Sherlock Homes movie and I think dinner was at Cafe Rio.
My "day with J" started by going downtown to the new Leonardo museum . It's a great place with a lot of interactive activities. I highly recommend it. After the Leonardo, we headed to Draper to eat lunch at In and Out Burger. After lunch we painted some ceramics at Color Me Mine and went to buy his P-day shoes.
Matt's "day with J' came last--not until after Christmas break. They planned to go hiking because the weather had been so great--not, enough snow for snowshoeing--but, of course, the day they went it snowed and they couldn't hike. So, they went to a movie and to a great lunch filled with lots of seafood.
Our "Days with J" were great (you can tell Jacob wanted to see as many movies as he could before he left:). We our so thankful he had the idea (and the $). I'm sure the memory we each have will help carry us though the next two years without him.
On Wednesday we all took the day off school and work to have one last "Day with J"--well more like "morning with J". We went out to breakfast at the Black Bear Diner (YUM-O by the way). Matt's parents joined us for this yummy feast too. After breakfast we headed to the Provo Temple to take some family photos and then it was time to say goodbye. Jacob was ready...nervous, anxious, etc. I'm thankful we were prepared for a quick drop off, because it was really less than 5 minutes. We stopped, they took the luggage out, one last photo and hug and he was off.
....without a look back. We will miss him, but we are so glad he chose to go. We really wouldn't want him doing anything else. What an amazingly bittersweet event.
Now I'm just anxiously awaiting that first letter/email!
2 comments:
Oh my goodness Lindy. I just don't even know what to say. I guess I'm glad you got married first. ;)
Jacob is so great, we really loved being at his farewell. I really do think he is just a good, kind, happy person and that he's going to be great as a missionary.
Post a Comment