Sunday, January 15, 2012

Words of Wisdom

Anyone that has been to my house knows that I really like quotes, snippets of profound wisdom all chucked into just a sentence or two.  Now, a few of these quotes make it onto vinyl on my walls or put into frames, but most just make an appearance or two as a monthly focus--the wisdom my family is most in need of at the time.  At least once a month I put up a new quote under our white board in the kitchen.  When the month is over, or when I come across some new sage advice, the previous one is rotated to the inside of the basement door.  Well, this year we must have needed a lot of advice because my basement door is full.  Sadly, it's time for me to start over.  Before I send these quotes to the recesses of my files, I thought I would take a minute to share with you our "words of wisdom" from this past year.

"I complained because I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet."

"Oh, Be Wise!"

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices."

"The true measure of our life is not how much we get, but how much we give."

"The secret to a happy life is not in getting what you want.  It is learning to want what you get. Don't waste your time crying over what you're not given.  When you have tears in your eyes, you can't see all the beautiful things around you."

"The most miserable people are those who only think of themselves.  If you find yourself complaining about life, it is because you are thinking only of yourself."

"The habit of saying thank you is the mark of an educated man or woman.  express appreciation to everyone who does you a favor or assists you in any way.  Thank the Lord for His goodness to you."

"No,God does not need us to love Him.  But oh, how we need to love God!  For what we love determines what we seek. What we seek determines what we think and do.  What we think and do determines who we are-and who we will become."

"People are more important than things."

"Come what may and love it!"

"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; behold I say into you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise."

"Practice is no the thing you do once you're good, it is the thing you do that MAKES you good."

Well there you go our 2011 quotes.  And what quote are we starting the new year off with? Here it is:

"The course of our lives is seldom determined by great, life-altering decisions.  Our direction is often set by the small, day-to-day choices that chart the track on which we run.  This is the substance of our lives-making choices."

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Great quotes Lindy! And I like your idea to have one that your focusing on each month or so.