Sunday, August 26, 2012

The night before...

Tomorrow morning school starts. Backpacks are packed. Supplies ready to go. Daily schedules all set up. Children tucked in bed. Alarm clocks set. Summer memories and all those hours of electronics are turning into a dream. We’re ready.

However, I am not sure I will really be able to sleep. The butterflies aren’t getting tired any time too soon. Tomorrow I start teaching full time to an amazing class of 26 second grade students. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel the night before school started, but I am pleasantly surprised. I am not very nervous, but terribly excited…like Christmas excited. I’m sure it helps that I am teaching at a school that I have already worked at for two years. I know the routines, rules, and programs. On top of that, I know all the children in my class. I taught 19 of my 26 children either Math or Language Arts last year. The other 7 I helped out at recess and lunch. I do not have a student that is new to the school this year. Yes, I’m lucky I know. Nathan’s teacher this year is new too. She just graduated from BYU last spring. I bet she’s pretty nervous tonight. I am also pretty excited about showing the kids my room. As a part time teacher, we get very little say in how the room is set up. It’s been hours and hours of work, but I like how my room came together. When I first saw my room on August 2nd everything was piled into one corner, the cubbies were filled with things, and the back counter was crammed with stuff. The previous teacher left me stuff. Good-because it was stuff I didn’t have to buy. Bad-it took about 90-100 hours of work going through all that stuff before I could bring in my own stuff. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a before photo, but I did take a before photo of the room next to mine. It will give you a basic idea.
So, the room is ready for tomorrow. It’s not finished, not quite ready for Tuesday, I fear it’s never quite finished when you’re a teacher, but it is ready for tomorrow. Take a look….




Did you catch my theme?

So, wish me luck and let the fun begin! (and may the sandman come quick!)

2 comments:

Jan T. said...

Good luck Lindy! You will be great, fabulous, fantastic, super and wonderful! Get some sleep though!:)

angela michelle said...

Hope you had a great first day--with many more to come!