September was a pretty good month. Nothing too crazy. We just all keep plugging along. Here's a view of our Sunday family calls with Tyler and Callie. Love that we get to face time them so we can see and hear all that is happening with them in Arkansas.
Hiking in the Uintahs with the Hatches.
We spent Labor Day up along Mirror Lake Highway going on a hike with Greg's family, Paula's family, and Laura's family. It was a great day. Great weather, beautiful surroundings, and the best company.
Many crazies in our groups jumped into the lake--I think a few even got paid to do so.
![]() |
| Nathan is already the tallest--approaching 6'3" not sure why he felt the need to make himself taller by standing on tip toes here...silly kid. |

![]() |
| Cara, Nathan, and Jax taking the hike, or this phot, a little to serious. |
On Tuesday September 8th (the day after our hike) the temperatures dropped and the wind came blowing in. Here was one of the headlines of the day:
Hurricane-force winds in Utah flip 45 semitrucks, kill 1 person as thousands remain without power-Some 66,000 customers were still without power days later in the Salt Lake Area
Some areas downtown got hit pretty hard. Jacob said it kind of looked like a war zone. Lagoon got hit hard with tons of trees down on the rides. Luckily in our area we didn't have winds quite that strong. We did have weather that was 20 degrees cooler than the day before and we woke up to snow capping mountains. While walking with Dina in our old neighborhood though, I did see this downed tree.
So I made a last minute decision to fly to Albuquerque for Brooklyn's 3rd birthday. I had been wanting to go, but with COVID restrictions all still in place I really couldn't plan it. However, once Chris confirmed he wouldn't have to quarantine after I left, I started to look for a flight. It was a short trip, just Thursday-Monday morning, but oh so worth it. Just what I needed. Fun for me, the new part of the SLC airport opened up just days before I flew out. It was so brand new and shiny. It was actually kind of weird riding on a brand new escalator.
Before I went I did take a COVID test. Just to prove I was safe to come down and not have to quarantine for 14 days. My test was negative. Sadly, I got a text as we were driving to the airport from Bret letting me know he had just been sent home from work. A coworker tested positive and he was required to quarantine for 14 days. Ugh. So no seeing Bret or his family on this trip. So hard to be that close and not get to see each other.
I didn't fly in until Thursday night so by the time we got to Chris's house Brooklyn was in bed. I was in time, however, to see this story on the news about the Balloon Museum that just happened to show mom and dad's balloon pin collection. Crazy timing right? So thankful that has been able to live on.
The next day nothing was planned except hanging out with this cutie. The new BYU shirt I brought along with me fit her just perfectly. We played while Kim taught her students online. APS won't go back to in person school until at least January.
![]() |
| That smile tho... |
Friday night for dinner Chris cooked up some delicious pasta-pomodoro sauce with fresh basil. It looked and tasted like it came from a very fancy Italian restaurant.
Friday was birthday girl's big day. Party day! Kim and I put our brains together and made this beautiful unicorn cake. Kim did 95% while I helped put on the fancy sprinkles at the bottom. It turned out SUPER CUTE and the birthday girl loved it--well the looks of it and the taste of the sprinkles :)
The kitties loved the balloons or, more accurately, the string from the balloons.

For the party Chis invited his good friend and coworker over with his family. Chris made a fancy shrimp cheese dip, they bought tasty chicken wings, and pizza as well. Brooklyn had a fun time, especially opening all her gifts. She loved the singing Elsa and Anna dolls from her mom and dad. She was super cute singing along with them.

![]() |
| Look at all that birthday girl happiness! And doesn't she look adorable in the unicorn dress and unicorn headband I bought her? |
Sunday was a super chill day again. It was fun just hanging with Brooklyn as she explored her new toys on her timeline. This time I made dinner for everyone. I made my potato cheese soup with breadsticks. Not fancy but for sure tasty.
Monday morning I had to say good bye. So sad. I wish I lived closer so I could see them all more often. When I got off the plane I had these cute photos waiting for me. Brooklyn took doughnuts into her preschool class to share for her birthday. Oh goodness! I am going to miss this cutie!!!
Then, just a few days after I get back, we get the call letting us know Nathan has to quarantine. He was exposed by someone sitting next to him in class. He doesn't mind the not going to school part, but missing out on work, not going to art, and not hanging out with friends is the part he doesn't like. Luckily, he never showed signs of any symptoms. He dodged it this time.




































No comments:
Post a Comment