October was a busy month that provided some opportunities for celebrations. We took advantage of the fall weather as much as we could. We started the month with a Saturday hike to Doughnut Falls, a simple but beautiful hike that was way too crowded
With election day fast approaching the presidential campaigns picked up speed. The first presidential debate was a complete joke. Trump couldn't follow any of the debate rules. The vice presidential debates were much more civilized. So civilized, in fact, that a fly decided to stop by and stay for awhile. The kitties, of course, didn't mind me sitting and watching tv at all.
Citrus Pear finally opened up their private classes again. It was a much needed girls night out. Even better that it filled our freezer with food too. It was fun to have a mix of friends from work, the neighborhood, and family all come join in on the fun.
Kelcie Vance, Erin Druce, Jackie Dinkle, Me, Dina Croll, Lora Hill, Tammi Coons, Ali Sommer, Audrey Mangum, Paula Kremser.

On the 10th Jacob turned 28. I can hardly believe that I have a 28 year old. Lucky for him, his birthday fell on a Saturday this year and we spent the whole day celebrating. We started the day with Krispy Kreme doughnuts and then by hiking up to Dog Lake from the Millcreek side. Because of time constraints due to Nathan's work schedule, we never actually made it to the lake, but it was a great hike none the less. It was crazy and sad to see all the trees that had been blown down due to the "hurricane" we had.
After the hike we went out to dinner at the Asian Bistro so Jacob could get some sushi. It did not disappoint. After sushi Nathan went to work and Jacob got to watch a movie with his parents. Not too exciting of a birthday, but I think he did enjoy the day.

And then the big news of the month...
After two rounds of interviews, on Oct 9th I was offered the job as principal of the Summit Academy Draper campus. Staff was told of this on Monday Oct. 12th and students/parents were informed on Tuesday Oct 20th right after fall break.
It has been a crazy ride and I think I am still in a bit of shock. I applied last minute thinking it was a major long shot. When I first got the key to my office these were the first two things I found: a Windows shortcut cheat sheet that Tyler created when he taught my class and a drawer full of contraband. So fun. Over fall break Jacob came and helped me decorate/set up my new office. It has been fun to turn it into my own.
My first official signature on a purchase order.
My new business card.
Then, the same week I was announced as the new principal, I turned 50. I was very spoiled and ended up celebrating all week long. The festivities started the weekend before my birthday with a paint night with my amazing sister in laws. Not sure why we didn't get around to taking any photos of that fun. We met at my school, had yummy food and painted. Then I was able to have book club on Tuesday-kind of like a birthday celebration too just because I love my book club group so much. Walking into my office Thursday morning, the day of my actual birthday, was fun. The SPO had totally decorated my office with balloons and streamers. They also made a big poster for the hall and brought birthday cake for everyone afterschool. Due to needing to attend a very long board meeting, it ended up being a 15 hour workday for me. Ugh. I was able to get away for a bit though and have dinner at Smash Burger with Matt and Jacob.
When I finally got home, I did have all this great stuff waiting for me. I got a very unexpected package from Carolyn Peterson and a wonderful memory book from Matt. Oh and yummy treats and balloons too.
On Friday after work, I was able to have another birthday celebration with my old 6th grade team. Erin Druce brought in Jimmy Johns for us. Then it was on to the real party. Nope not Disney and a cruise like I had planned-Stupid COVID!-but a girl's retreat where I was able to treat some of my favorite people-Anne, Ann-Marie, Anna-Lisa, Dina, and Ellen. We started the night at Bonsai Steak House. So yummy! Dina had been in quarantine for her birthday the week before, so this was a celebration for her as well. After Bonsai we headed up to Ellen's old house in my old Sandy neighborhood. Ellen now uses the house for an Airbnb so she was kind enough to reserve it for us. We opened gifts, played some games, and ate yummy Cheesecake Factory desserts that Ellen had picked up for us.

Before calling it a night we headed down to Dina's house for some hot tub time. Such a fun night. The next morning we slept in and then went to lunch at Olive Garden. After lunch, it was time for the real treat-getting pampered at Sego Lily Spa. I got a message, Anna-Lisa and Dina got facials, Ann-Marie got a foot/flex point message and then Anne met us and we all got pedicures. Sadly Ellen had a football game in Tooele and had to leave after lunch. Because of COVID, the sauna was closed and no white robes were given, but it was still an amazingly relaxing time. Just what we all needed.

Sunday brought the family birthday celebrations. Miranda and Matt planned out this lovely "cruise" dinner since my real birthday cruise got postponed due to COVID (hopefully I will get to go next year). The dinner was complete with Guy's burgers, pina coladas, and chocolate lava cakes. It was INCREDIBLE!! So delicious!
Then Monday came and it was finally time for my last birthday celebration. Seriously over a week of parties. I was very spoiled this year! Monday night was our family outing to Leatherby's-- a birthday really isn't a birthday until we've been to Leatherby's. Sadly Nathan had to work, but Miranda was able to come up for Lehi to join us. It was yummy as always.
Halloween was a little different for everyone this year, but we were still bale to make it a fun day at school. I made emoji shirts for the admin team. It's always fun to see the costumes students and staff choose to wear.
Our counselors were Care Bares-So fitting!
Trick-or-treating was a bit different due to COVID. A lot of families just stayed home and had their own fun. We did put candy out...in a muffin tin.. so kids would only touch the one candy and so we could sit 6 feet away. It worked well, but we only had about a fourth of the usual amount of kids come by.
The last thing we did in October was mail in our ballots for the presidential election. So much easier than waiting in line on election day.






































No comments:
Post a Comment