
I thought it was great when a friend of mine posted she liked to make green smoothies in the summer because I do too. Our recipes are a little different, but they both help you get in the necessary raw spinach that you body needs every day. Years ago my good friend Rachel back in Mesa introduced me to the "green smoothie". Now Rachel was brave and could eat just about anything for the sake of being healthy. She also rarely--if ever let anything pass through her lips that would be called junk. I sometimes wish I could have that much self control. Sadly, as I have admitted before, I have a hard time keeping my self control in check when it comes to food. So, anyhow, Rachel made her green smoothies by filling the blender with raw spinach adding about a half cup of frozen blueberries and then adding about a cup of water. I was never able to get much of that green smoothie down. So, over the years I have perfected my own version of the green smoothie. Sometimes I make a larger one and just have it as my lunch and then sometimes I make a smaller one for a great, cool, filling afternoon snack. It taste great too...you probably just shouldn't drink it from a clear cup.
Lindy's Green Smoothie:
-fill blender 2/3 the way full with raw spinach
-add about a 1/2c to 1 c of 100% juice (preferably not from concentrate...I think Simply Orange with pineapple taste best)
-add frozen blueberries
-add other frozen berries (I get an organic berry mix that has strawberries, blueberries and raspberries in it)
-add 1/2 to 1 banana
-add 1/2 to 1c vanilla soy milk (for those of you who live out of Utah, Trader Joe's vanilla soy milk is my FAVORITE, but the Silk brand works well too. Just make sure it's vanilla not plain)
-add a few pinches of ground flax seed
-blend and enjoy!
This smoothie is great because it has so many good-for-you things in it. It's like eating a very large salad, but it taste SO much better. You can use various juices and fruits too. You just need to make sure you have the spinach, blueberries, and the flax seed--they are the critical ingredients. I have found that the other berries really help hide the taste of the spinach and adding a banana helps smooth it all out.
Try it. I'm sure you'll like it:)
(now if I could only get my kids to drink it...sadly they have seen me make it and know exactly what goes into it...they cannot be decieved now...)
Lindy's Green Smoothie:
-fill blender 2/3 the way full with raw spinach
-add about a 1/2c to 1 c of 100% juice (preferably not from concentrate...I think Simply Orange with pineapple taste best)
-add frozen blueberries
-add other frozen berries (I get an organic berry mix that has strawberries, blueberries and raspberries in it)
-add 1/2 to 1 banana
-add 1/2 to 1c vanilla soy milk (for those of you who live out of Utah, Trader Joe's vanilla soy milk is my FAVORITE, but the Silk brand works well too. Just make sure it's vanilla not plain)
-add a few pinches of ground flax seed
-blend and enjoy!
This smoothie is great because it has so many good-for-you things in it. It's like eating a very large salad, but it taste SO much better. You can use various juices and fruits too. You just need to make sure you have the spinach, blueberries, and the flax seed--they are the critical ingredients. I have found that the other berries really help hide the taste of the spinach and adding a banana helps smooth it all out.
Try it. I'm sure you'll like it:)
(now if I could only get my kids to drink it...sadly they have seen me make it and know exactly what goes into it...they cannot be decieved now...)
4 comments:
I will try this.
I love smoothies, too, but never tried to hide spinach in one. I will give it a shot. I love to use whey protein (vanilla flavored) in my smoothies, but Tyler didn't think the one I made with the protein, strawberries, milk, and bananas was very good. He does, however, love Skittles.
I'll try that. It sounds good to me.
I would try it but sadly I can't eat spinach because of the vitamin k. It's a blood thinner and I'm on blood thinners so that's a no no. Have any smoothie ideas without "greens"?
Post a Comment