Monday, September 6, 2010

Timpanogos Cave

We had a pretty good Labor Day weekend --hardly any labor at all:) On Saturday we hiked up to the Timpanogos Cave with Matt's sister Laura and her family, Grandpa Hatch and Aunt Alice. We had not been up there since the summer we moved back to Utah. It was great. The trail is pretty dangerous (I think they have already had 2 or 3 deaths this year) so, it's NOT the trail to take kids under 7 on. The trail is paved, but it has several places with steep drop offs. Nathan loved seeing the cave. He decided it would be a great place to keep a Lego stash.
The kids were surprised by how cold it was in the caves. They also got a kick out of the fact that a lot of the formations had food names. It made them hungry. There was bacon, popcorn, soda straws, and even a carmel sundae. They were glad that Alice brought candy bars for everyone and Stephanie bought everyone ice cream cones at the end of the hike:)
Stephanie is the foreign exchange student living with the Ruppers for this school year. She is from Denmark and is Miranda's age. Miranda has (and I'm sure will continue) enjoyed having a girl her age to hang out with at family gatherings. I know having Stephanie on this hike made it A LOT better for Miranda.
As for the rest of the weekend, there's been football games (GO Cougars!), good food, more family visits, another hike (for Matt) and some sleeping in. I'll call it a success. Oh, and speaking of success, Miranda got a part in her high school musical! Wahoo! She is very excited. It's a small part, but to have any part as a sophomore is a great success. They are doing "Bye Bye Birdie" this year. It will be great:)

1 comment:

April Morgan McCoy "Auntie April" said...

I LOVE caves. They are so exciting and yes the temperature difference is so cool. Maybe that is something I should do in the summer here!