But sadly, normal was not to be. The light at the end of the tunnel was a mirage.
On Friday October 7th, I had to take Miranda back to the ER at Primary Children's Hospital due to some extreme pain in her left leg again. Sure enough within a few hours the fever hit and no amount of morphine was taking away the pain. They admitted Miranda back into the hospital. An MRI on Saturday morning revealed that the infection was back and this time had gotten into her bone. In all reality, the doctors believe the infection was never really gone. Their best guess is that a few stray bacteria decided to hide out in the porous bone glue (remember Kryptonite?). That is why after only one and a half weeks after finishing the antibiotics the infection was back. Well, by Saturday night Miranda was back in the OR for her 4th surgery. They cleaned out the infection site and left a drain in her leg. By Monday night she was again in the OR for her 5th surgery. It was during this surgery that another PICC line was placed and this beautiful cast was put on.
The surgeon felt that the integrity of the bone glue had been compromised due to the infection. He told us that if Miranda were to fall, her leg would just break in two, thus the cast, extra protection until the bone can grow and replace the bone glue. We can safely say, we were all surprised when Miranda came out of surgery with a cast from her upper thigh to her ankle. Miranda stayed in the hospital for 8 days. She just got home Saturday and now we begin another 6 weeks of deliveries like this...
A stronger antibiotic this time..taken 4 times a day. Plus an oral antibiotic (with strange side effects) and more pain killers. Luckily this time she does have one strong leg. She can use crutches...right now just for short distances...that cast weighs about as much as she does:)
So, the surgery that was suppose to be 4 days in the hospital and 4 weeks recovery time has now turned into 5 surgeries, 17 days in the hospital, 5 weeks of missed school, and who knows how many weeks of recovery. Not the best of times for a high achieving high school junior with 4 AP classes. I keep telling her...at least she has a good story for her college applications:) At this point, that really doesn't help.
Goodness Glaciers! The antibiotics better work this time!
3 comments:
Lindy, I am seriously on the verge of tears. My eyes are a bit watery. I had no idea what your family was/is going through. I don't even know what to say other than you will be in my prayers for sure. I hope that there are no more set backs and things get back to normal for everyone.
Keeping you close in our hearts. Know that if you need anything, you can call.
I am SO sorry that this has happened with Miranda. I feel so bad for her and for you all. How horrible! I hope that this time she is truly on the mend and will get better quickly. I haven't been keeping up on reading blogs lately and had no idea. If there is anything that you need, please don't hesitate to call.
Post a Comment