Thursday, November 17, 2011

The dregs of fall

The wind is howling and leaves are flying.  A storm is brewing on the horizon.  It's brown, dreary, dead, with frost in the mornings. We are in the dregs of fall.  But as I sit here in my warm cozy home listening to the winds bash and bang I am filled with thoughts of Thanksgiving. No, not just thoughts of sweet potatoes and turkey, but thoughts of thankfulness for everything that surrounds me:

my home that holds and protects my loved ones
my amazing husband that works so hard for us
my amazing children that work so hard at being good and smart
the schools that my children are able to go to
the jobs Matt and I have
the family that lives near and far that is always there for us
the friends that are here, there, and everywhere
the influence that those dear friends have had on me
the kitties that are curled up on the kids beds
the food that fills my cupboards and fridge
the cars that take me to wonderful places
the technology that allows me to talk in an instant to loved ones no matter the distance
the wonderful books we have to read
the memories that I have
the knowledge that I have of why I am here, where I came from, where I am going next
and most of all,
the knowledge that I am a child of God, that Jesus loves and knows me

With all that to be thankful for (and oh so much more..) I am able to keep the winds of trouble at bay and let the small rays of sunshine linger.  I can look forward to a weekend filled with golden friendships, a short work week, a holiday filled with family and good food (lots of shopping too), and, best of all, Christmas right around the corner!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I love this. Thank you for being a great friend.