![]() |
| Our senior trip to Provo-George, the brave chaperone. We all look sad because we were. It was time to go home. |
Today a rich man passed to the other side of the vail. Today I lost my second father. My extra dad from those teenage years when you need more than one set of parents to raise you. Today he left to go to his paradise. To go to where he can help his children in a way he always wanted to.
| His birth children--Anna-Lisa, Jerry, and Lela |
| His children--Lela, me Kimberly, Jerry, Anna-Lisa, Brett |
George,
Wow what can I say to such an amazing person as you George? Words won't nearly be enough...
First, I can say thank you. Thank You! Thank You for all you have given me and for the example you have been for me. You are my second dad George. You were there for me when my family couldn't be. You provided a loving place for me to be, a family for me to be in, when my own family was in disarray. I can honestly say I would not be who I am today without the love and example you and your children have given me. Thank you for having the patience to teach me how to drive stick shift. I remember going to a parking lot and practicing for hours. It’s a skill I still use:) Thank you for opening your home to me (and to countless others) when we were teenagers. It was a place where I felt loved and welcomed—ALWAYS! Thank you for letting me hang out at your home between school and seminary my junior year and cooking us breakfast every morning. I was always in awe over that. I’m still addicted to Munster cheese because of you! Thank you for buying all the groceries to feed everyone. I think my parents should have been paying you a bit of rent since I ate two out of three of my daily meals at your home that year. George there was never any doubt of your love for your children and for us. Thank you for that. I loved it when you would have political debates with my father…two polar opposites in the political arena. What I loved best is seeing how much fun you both had and how you would both completely disagree with each other, but shake hands at the end with smiles. One of my favorite memories of you is when my brother in law taped you on my wedding reception video. Right after the congratulations you said “I am so thankful those Hatches took you out of that Democratic hell hole!” Love it! I am so thankful I got to see you this spring. What a delight it was to come home from work to find you sitting on my couch! You are an amazing person George! I love you and will always cherish your memory. Thank you again for being my dad. You are so brave. You are in my prayers. May the next weeks be as peaceful as possible. You deserve it!
Until we meet again!
Love,Lindy
...and lucky me I got a response back.....
I can't tell you how much this letter means to me. I recall those days among the best
in my life.......how I enjoyed you kids!
You are even more dear being Kimberly's best friend. What a boon Kimberly has been
to our family.
I die a rich man.
Much love,
George Higginson
See that's George. Feeling rich because of the friendships and people in his life. What an amazing blessing in my life that I was able to be part Higginson. Even better that two of my best friends from high school (college, life!) married each other! And how lucky we all were to be able to get together and have a life celebration for this amazing example of a man in our lives! (Even if it was in November! I love anytime I can get together with this one...silly girl chose to live in DC!)
| Kimberly and me! |
| High school friends! Jan, Kimberly, Cori, Anna-Lisa, Jodi, me, Laurie |
Thank you George! I love you!

2 comments:
Aw. I loved George too.
What a beautiful letter. So glad you got to share your thoughts with him... so important in this life to tell people how you feel, because we don't know what tomorrow might bring.
Post a Comment