Mother's Day for me is always a good day. A day filled with delicious food and lots of pampering. Today it was extra great because it also included a phone call from my missionary son. How great it was to hear his voice and get answers back to questions. Mother's Day is also a day where I get a bit of peace and quiet when Matt takes the kids down to see his mom in Provo. So, here I sit in a quiet house and I take a minute to think about what being a mother means to me. My role as mother has changed a lot in the last few years as my family is transitioning and getting older. No more diapers and midnight feedings. No more car seats and sippy cups. We've moved on to another phase that isn't very demanding physically, but oh so demanding emotionally. Days where the "i love you's" are rare. More days than not I feel like a failure of a mother. That I have missed the boat on so much. i wonder if they will actually be able to function as adults or how much counseling will they need to recover. But, I won't give up. I know my purpose in life right now is to be a mother to these four amazing kids I have been given. It amazes me that I was given such great children. i am thankful for the good choices they make daily. I am thankful that I can trust them and that I know they can choose the right. i know being a mother is a calling of God....one that I should put more effort into. I am so thankful I have been given the blessing to be a mother here on Earth.
This video sums it up so well.
This video sums it up so well.
and of course, I am so thanlful for my own amazing mother and my great mother-in-law!
1 comment:
Well put. I always have a hard time explaining to people with younger children how teenagers are both easier and so much harder. It actually makes me happy to know that you sometimes feel like a failure too. I often have that "how did we miss so much" feeling. It's crazy to think that so many chances to teach them are gone already!
Post a Comment