Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Mother's Day.....always a great day in my book:) A day for breakfast in bed, hot fudge sundaes, and cards from the kids. Today it struck me how Mother's Day changes through the years for a mom. When your kids are young it's the dad that is left to do most of the celebrating. Then you have the elementary years when it's up to the teachers to have fun gift ideas. Then the teenage years, when you treasure the cards and possibly gifts from your teenagers. Looking forward to those words of endearment that come few and far between. Then I guess you head into the empty nest years where you look forward to visits, calls, and cards..no longer getting the breakfast in bed.

Another Mother's Day thought that I've had today is about all the mother figures you have in your life....other women that have stepped into your life to be a mom when your "real" mom isn't there. Kudos go out to those women in my life. I have learned so much from them. I am so thankful for their influence in my life. Kudos to those mother figures in my children lives. I can't possibly be there at all times for them. I'm glad they can have someone to look to when I am not around.

Next, I'm thinking about my wonderful mother-in-law. She's always been loving and accepting. She raised a great son...taught him how to change diapers:) I am so thankful for her influence in my life.

And, of course, I am thinking of my own mother. I am undoubtedly thankful for her in my life. My mom's life hasn't always been easy, but she has persevered and kept moving forward. I am thankful for that example in my life. My sweet mom as a preteen. Can you see the sparkle of mischief in her eyes? How lucky I am to have her as my mom.

I am so thankful I have been given the blessing of being a mother. I love it. It's not always easy, but quite often rewarding. So kudos go out to Jacob, Miranda, Tyler, and Nathan for making me the luckiest mom around:)

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Because of your post, I am also thinking about the "other mothers" I have had my life: Brenda McGee, Sis. Rogers, several other young women leaders, my Grander (grandmother), my mother-in-law Eila, my therapist, others I have forgotten to list here that I will think of later, and I have learned to mother myself!!

Dawn said...

You are right about other "moms". I am VERY grateful for all the women who step in when others can't.
You are a great mom!! Your kids are lucky to have YOU!
Hope you had a Great Mother's Day!!

Mark Ashurst-McGee said...

What a great post. I agree about all the women who are not our mothers who mentor and support us. Glad you had a great day. You're one of my favorite moms!