So now that July is just about over, I guess I'd better write what we've been up too. I haven't had the time to update my blog mostly because of Bones..
Yep, the show Bones, and these bones....
On July 12 Miranda finally had the surgery to correct her External Tibial Torsion.
Yep, the show Bones, and these bones....In short, when her knees were straight forward, her feet rotated out and had a bow. In the above x-ray her feet are straight forward. You can see how far her knees turn in. To fix it, the doctor cut the tibia, turned it 35 degrees and then glued it back together leaving a "v" space to correct the bow. He filled the "v" space with bone glue called Kryptonite. I guess Miranda won't be marrying Superman. Below is the doctor's sketch of the surgery. The 'T" with circles in it is the metal plate they put on the side of her bone with screws to help hold the bone in place while the Kryptonite dries. The Kryptonite is porous so eventually her bone will grow through it. All this she had done on both legs.
I find it amazing that they could do all that with such a small incision.
Her muscles are not too happy about all of the twisting and repositioning though. Her legs from the knee down are one big bruise. The bottom of her foot is the normal color. We think maybe she just botched a bottled sun tan:)
Miranda stayed in the hospital for 4 days. She had plenty of visitors. One night her YW's group came to visit her. The visitors really helped the time to go by.
Now, she's camped out on our family room couch...which is probably where she'll stay for another week or two. Plan is she will be in a wheelchair for 4 weeks--NO WALKING and then she will get crutches and start PT. Although she's still dealing with a lot of pain, she has gained some range of motion back in her knees. Shortly after she got out of the hospital her friend Mikayla gave her a scrapbook with tons of photos and get well messages from her friends. It is an amazing book. Miranda loved it. What a great friend!
So here we are, home-bound and recovering, realizing that
I find it amazing that they could do all that with such a small incision.
Her muscles are not too happy about all of the twisting and repositioning though. Her legs from the knee down are one big bruise. The bottom of her foot is the normal color. We think maybe she just botched a bottled sun tan:)
Miranda stayed in the hospital for 4 days. She had plenty of visitors. One night her YW's group came to visit her. The visitors really helped the time to go by.1. our home is not handicap accessible
2. i would not be the best nurse maid
3. because she cant get to the bathroom by herself an adult has to be present at all times
4. it's best just to stay up until the middle of the night drug dose...cuts out the frustration of trying to figure it all out (drugs, ice packs, etc etc) when your only half awake.
5. thus, our (mostly mine and Miranda's) sleep schedules are WAY off...2am to 10am is the new norm..
6. midnight to 2am is a great time to finally watch the TV show Bones that I've had on my list forever....just finished season 2 Kimberly..lovin' it!
7. giving Tyler and Nathan lots of extra chores is a great way to stop them from waking up mom and sister by fighting at 8:30am. They've been nice and quiet the last few mornings:)
8.we love a "techie" grandma that has lovingly let Miranda borrow her IPad while she is recovering. It's been priceless.
9. we would be in trouble without Jacob's ability to drive.
10. Lortab is our friend
7 comments:
Lindy, isn't Bones great? You r watching the best season of the series. Have you heard what happened this past season? Best of luck to Miranda.
So now I know where to come when I am in the mood for a late night party. Miranda, wow, in a few years, this will be quite the story to tell, for now, good luck making it through!
You even make your blog into a great scrapbook page Lindy! That was some kind of surgery. I'm glad Miranda is doing better. She is getting so beautiful! WOW!
Sorry I couldn't see you when you were in Mesa last. I was out of town. It's just too hot here these days. Love ya, Terri
Glad it's over. Looks like Miranda is being a good sport. Hang in there guys!
Lindy, this is crazy. The poor thing. I can't believe how black and blue her legs are all the way down. Her legs seem nice and straight now! I hope she is doing better now.
I agree with April... can't believe how bruised she was (and I'm a nurse). I'll bet you were the most amazing nurse maid ever, even running on fumes. The best to Miranda on her continued recovery!
LIndy... I kept seeing something on Facebook but couldn't quite figure out what the surgery was for. I am is AWE!!! How is she doing now??? I am sure it will be worth it in the long run but I wonder how she (& you are feeling about it right now????) Poor thing!! Hopefully she will heal fast and be back on her feet soon.
(Amazing pictures/xrays/drawings - Whoa...)
Post a Comment