Monday, September 29, 2008

Playing With A Full House

What a crazy fun weekend we had! We were so busy playing I didn't even have time to write about it (or take a lot of pictures). The kids had a three day weekend (well the two oldest kids did and the other two just played hookie). The four Walter kids got to spend the weekend with us while Steve played out of town. So you know anytime the best friends get to stay over it's party time. To top that off Matt's sister Paula was still in town with her family....play time!!
On Friday morning we went canoeing on the Provo River. We had a great time and the weather was just perfect. Grandpa Hatch even came along. We did have one boat that sprung a leak, but no one fell in.

Nathan loved every minute of it.
The teenage boys were, of course, the fastest. (I guess you can tell Jacob is doing well.)
I didn't get pictures of Katie or Miranda because they were behind me in the same canoe. I'm guessing they are not too bothered by this though. Grandpa Hatch, Tyler, and Brian W.
After spending just about two hours on the river we went to the creamery for ice cream. (I can't seem to visit Provo without a stop to the creamery!) yumm.....ice cream!!!!! A great reward for all that work it took to canoe.
It was then off to the mall (for the teenage girls), the high school football game(teenage boys), and to a family pizza party for everyone else. That night we ended up having 10 kids sleeping over. A girly movie on the main floor, Wii upstairs and another movie going on downstairs for the boys. When it was time for sleeping (I think it was around 1pm, by the time everyone got settled) it seemed like there were bodies in just about every room---well at least on every level of the house.
Saturday brought a great sleep in, more movies, a bit of homework, and more teenage boys hangin' out here until late.
Sunday brought 8 GREAT (good looking) kids dressed up nice all sitting in a row at church (big smile on my face), board games, another movie, and yummy food.
What a fun weekend. I know it's silly, but I love having neighbor kids hanging out here. Walking up to my pantry and helping themselves to snacks. Hangin' out, kickin' back on the couch and watching TV, and having fun. Really I do love it. It reminds me of Jerry's house. The house I hung out at as a teenager. (Now my house isn't quite that popular -we don't have quite enough gadgets to be the top hang out house.) It was a great place. A place where I knew I was loved and accepted. I hope the kids visiting my house now feel that same way. I hope some good memories are being created. Well, at least I know this was a fun memory maker weekend for me! And now, sadly, it's off to yet another busy week.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Ya I'm with you about Jerry's house. It was so comfortable there. I'm sure your house is the same way. Remember how many meals of yogurt, captain crunch, tortillas, Ritz crackers, and meunster cheese we ate there? Not all mixed together of course, but rather one or two at a time.

Lydia said...

Sounds like a great weekend.

Lindy said...

They went through pounds of meunster (weekly) just for us.

angela michelle said...

What a good goal--to make your house comfortable for all the neighborhood kids. My house is only comfortable for kids who don't mind screaming toddlers. I have got to start spending more on groceries so our house isn't such a snack wasteland.

Nic said...

Sounds like lots of fun! :)