Making a gingerbread house-
We made or gingerbread house tonight. It turned out pretty good I think. Almost as cute as Nate. The prepackaged gingerbread kits sure made this tradition easier!
Now I know there are a lot of good Christmas movies and more are being made all the time. The kids love when we pull all of them out to watch. But, the ultimate Christmas movie is The Muppets Christmas Carol. I love it. Now, I do admit that I am a huge Muppets fan and that's a big reason why I like it, but does it get any better than Miss Piggy as Mrs. Cratchit? Or Gonzo as Dickens? Not to mention Kermit as Mr . Cratchit. Ahhhhh I just think it's such a fun movie. And Dickens' story has such a wonderful message for the holiday. Last night for Matt's company Christmas party we went to see The Christmas Carol at the Hale Center Theater. Even Matt had a hard time getting the muppets version out of his head. It was kind of funny.
When the kids were very young we started a scripture study Christmas tradition. Each night we light a candle, sing a Christmas song, read scriptures that relate to the Savior's ministry and birth (year's ago I got a list of 25 days of reading leading to the birth of Christ), after reading, we move Mary and Joseph one day closer to Bethlehem on our nifty wall hanging (a gift from Grandpa and Grandma years ago). The kids really look froward to doing this each night before bed. I love it because it gives us a daily reminder of why we have this wonderful season in the first place.
Yummmmm!!!! We all love it so much that I only make it during the month of December...and then I make it again and again. I have a really easy, really yummy recipe. It has become a family tradition for sure.

*Since moving to Utah we have started the tradition of going to see the temple lights. The lights are so beautiful and seeing them by the temple make it's all the better.
*Another fun tradition is that "our" Santa highly prefers Krispy Kreme Doughtnuts. So, we always end up going there on Christmas Eve.
*Starting at the beginning of December we draw names for Secret Santa. We do small acts of service and leave goodies for the name we drew all month long. Then on Christmas Eve we give a larger (dollar store) gift and reveal who we are. Usually by Christmas Eve at least one kid thinks they have all of the "santas" figured out. It is a lot of fun.
*Then there's the traditions of getting a tree and decorating it while eating Hostess Powered Doughnuts.....family Christmas get-togethers, school concerts and parties, ward parties, making neighbor gifts,making lots of other goodies, and did I mention all that shopping????!!
Ahhhhhh what fun times. I hope I'm giving my children some traditions that they can build off of. Mostly I hope they are learning and enjoying the true meaning of Christmas.
2 comments:
It sounds like you guys have a lot of great traditions.
Can we move into your house??? I love all the traditions but don't want to do all the work :)
Post a Comment