I just finished my first book of 2010-Persuasion by Jane Austen. I know. I guess I could have spent that time organizing the many closets/drawers that need to be organized, but reading is important too right? I actually started this book before the new year, but it was the first book I finished in 2010. Aahhh and what a good book it was. There's not much that can beat out a Jane Austen book. Persuasion is one of her lesser known books, but it really is just as good as all of the rest. Here are a few great quotes. Enjoy!"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight and a half years ago. Dare not say that a man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant."
"'It is a sort of pain, too, which is new to me. I have been used to the gratification of believing myself to earn every blessing that I enjoyed. I have valued myself on honourable toils and just rewards. Like other great men under reverses,' he added with a smile, 'I must endeavor to subdue my mind to my fortune. I must learn to brook being happier than I deserve.'"
"While Lady Elliot lived, there had been method, moderation, and economy, which had just kept him within his income; but with her had died all such right-mindedness, and from that period he had been constantly exceediing it. It had not been possible for him to spend less: he had done nothing but what Sir Walter Elliot was imperiously called on to do; but blameless as he was, he was not only growing dreadfully in debt, but was hearing of it so often, that it became vain to attempt concealing it longer."
2 comments:
Like!!
I liked it! Read it last year and it was my first Jane Austin book and once I started reading with an english accent in my head, it was lots easier! :)
Post a Comment