I’ve been thinking about forks in the road a lot lately. Not the literal forks in the road mind you (Oh, I LOVE the muppets), but the forks in the roads of our lives. I actually gave a talk in church about it a few weeks ago, but it’s still been pressing on my mind. Maybe it’s because I can see big forks in the road looming up ahead in the distance for Jacob—mission, college. Who knows, maybe it’s just the psychologist in me? None the less, it’s been on my mind. It’s interesting to me how these “forks in the road” can be so life changing. Whether it’s in the tangible part of your life or just in the emotional, one little step now can make all the difference in your future. As I look back on my life and the crossroads in it, I find that most of them are heavily entwined with emotions, especially the forks in the road that I didn’t place there. The ones where I didn’t have a say in which direction I went. Now, for some of those, I can look back with my “present eyes” and see the benefits that that fork had for me and my life, but for others, I still find myself asking-Why? It seems like sometimes when your heart gets broken there is no answer. Sadly, sometimes, just as the heart starts to heal, it gets torn open again, just a bit maybe, but enough to bleed, enough that you have to work, painfully, on making a new scab. Sometimes I think that it’s quite silly. There’s no way it should hurt like this again. But it does. Sometimes, obviously, you know it’s going to hurt, for a long time, and it does. Yes, there have been some forks in the road for us, our family, and our friends lately. I guess those are the ones that have been most pressing on my mind. Addictions conquered, addictions conquering. Suicides successful and suicides failed. Friends and family pregnant and loved ones lost. And on top of all that, a new family moved into the Walter’s home this week.So, it’s time to take a walk up in the canyon, with my hatchlings and hubby, of course. Take notice of the beautiful world that has been created for us. Take notice of the beautiful colors, the crunchy leaves, and know that no matter what fork comes into the roads of my life or the life of my loved ones, God is aware. He will be ready with listening ears, a guiding hand, and comfort for a weary soul.
2 comments:
Wow. Awesome post. Sometimes all you want to do is tell those forks to, well, I won't say it here. But in the end we do look back and see why they were put there. Love the wisdom in your post. Thank you.
What a great post. Forks usually make us stronger!
Post a Comment