Tuesday, June 28, 2011
That crazy man
So, most of you already know I married a man that loves the great outdoors, especially hiking and trail running. Ever year Matt goes on a hiking adventure with some of his friends from work. This years adventure was climbing Mt. Shasta in Northern California. This was the most difficult hike he's been on. Mostly because the entire hike was on snow. Mt. Shasta has an elevation of 14, 179 ft and it sits 10,000 ft above the surrounding terrain. The first night they camped at the trail head (7,900 ft). Matt said at the trail head they pitched their tents on 4 feet of snow. I guess we are not the only ones who have had a harsh winter. The next morning they hiked up to "base camp". I was kid of surprised at how many people were camping there.
Not my idea of a great camping site...
The next morning at 3am they started their accent to the peak. Here's a great picture of the peak and the way up. You can see a hiker just in front of the peak's shadow.
And here they are at the peak. Matt said it was quite windy and cold.
This is a photo of the amazing views they had as they began their descent. He said this part was stunningly beautiful.
This next part...the avalanche gulch...was the most difficult. Going up in the dark with just a headlamp was quite unnerving. I was actually surprised that the going up bothered him more than going down. I think going down would have been the hardest for me. Who am I kidding? The whole thing would have been too much for me! They were able to hike up to the summit, back down to base camp, and then back down to their cars all on that last day.
So lucky me, he made it home safe and happy, with one more mountain summit added to his happy list. Yep, he's a crazy man. Yep, and I love him:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yep. He's definitely crazy, but that sounds cool at the same time. Go Matt!
That's great! Such a great adventure.
Post a Comment