When I was a teenager one of my biggest dreams was to be a mom..a homemaker. I know, silly right? Well, not really. Over the years I have
received some persecution over wanting to be a full-time mom. I'm giving up my life, not using my
brain and that it is a pointless, foolish waste of my time. Well, I'm living that dream now. And I know, at times, it is not easy, but it will always be worth it. I feel very blessed to have a husband who is able to work hard and bring home an income that allows me to be a "stay-at-home" mom. And even when that income has not been quite enough, we have both felt that me staying home was the better choice and if mom and dad have to go without sometimes, so be it. Being a homemaker, as most of you know, is the single most taxing, but satisfying job. Someone once commented to me that the only thing homemakers do is sit around watching TV, eating food, and fooling around with the neighbors husband. That CRACKS ME UP!!!! I wish I had time to sit around and watch TV, let alone hang with the neighbor's husband (wouldn't he be at work anyway?). However, I guess I do eat more. Anyway, being a homemaker is not a lazy job. There's always more dishes to wash, laundry to do, and things to teach your kids. I LOVE being a mom. I love teaching my kids new things and seeing
their eyes light up in wonder as they discover the world around them. I have especially loved teaching my kids how to read. I love seeing their excitement when the whole world of words is opened up to them. I love being the mom who knows my kids friends, who is called mom by kids other than my own. Even at the high school a few weeks ago one of Jacob's friends called out "hi mom!" to me. And I know sometimes it can get annoying, but I do like being the mom that the kids (not just mine) know they can call for a ride when needed. Again, silly, but I love it when neighbor kids come and rummage through my cubbards for snacks. It makes me smile inside. I'm glad to be a "safe" place for them. I really do have amazing kids and I feel lucky to be their mom.
And here's where I put a shout out to the moms who have helped teach me to be a mom, those who have taught me so much. Here's two of my favorite moms. My mom and my mother-in-law. They are wonderful and I love them so much! They have endured and triumphed over many trials, and
sadness. But they have also been able to find much joy in their journeys. I have learned so much from their examples and words of wisdom. They give me strength to make it through the
hard days of motherhood.

There have also been so many along the way that have been there and been "mothers" to me. I treasure the blessings they have been in my life. And I can't forget all my friends that I have had through the years...mom's themselves. I have
gleaned much from those friendships....over tears of sorrow and laughter of happiness we have
trudged this strange terrain of motherhood together. I couldn't be the mom I am without all these great women. And I know, I am not anywhere near the "perfect" mom, but I am at least trying my best. I'm guessing that's
just what most mom's do....just try to do the best they know how and somehow that's got to be good enough.
So I might have lost a little of what the world knew as Lindy, but I have gained so much more just being someone called mom. I am truly living the dream!
Happy Mother's Day Moms!
9 comments:
I think that snooty person watches too much Desparate Housewives.
Way to put things in perspective! ;)
Aren't moms and mother-in-laws the best? I love both of mine to death!
hahaha... Hi "Mom"!
Jacob and his siblings are so fortunate to have you as a mom, you are so nice and we all love you! You are truly a good example of a wonderful mother, not just to your kids, but their friends too.
I'll never forget the time you were there for me when i needed it.
You are awesome! Thanks for being like a second mom to me! :D
~Steph
amen, sister. being a mom is the hardest and best job a person can do. I love it too.
Since I am on the "front lines" every day with you in this parenting adventure, I have to say you are the best mom around and our kids are blessed every day for having you as their mom.
Matt
YOU GO GIRL. I look forward to being a mom someday in the near future. It is for sure my biggest dream like you and I feel it is the best most rewarding job a woman can have. That person that said those things to you is just jealous.
I love the fact that you and Matt are such a great fit together and have raised your kids you are doing so. Matt really did make a good choice in marrying you. I could tell that clear back when you guys were dating at BYU. Good job Lindy.
John
Great post, Lindy. I agree that you give up some things to be an at-home mom, but you gain so many other things. Also you do a great job!
Post a Comment