Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day

This Memorial Day was put to good use. Matt finally got to do some spring hiking. He has now extended his hiking season by learning to use an ice ax and crampons. He talked Jacob and two of brothers, Neal and Mike, to join him in his accent to the top of Mt. Loafer (elev. 10,687 ft.).

They ended up having a lot of fun. They said using the crampons was easy and not at all scary...if used properly that is....We were glad they all made it back safely with only sunburns instead of injuries to show for their day on the ice and snow.
Meanwhile back at home we spent the day doing yard work, house work, grocery shopping, and, of course, since it's was Memorial day, we visited the cemetery. I am always amazed at how beautiful a cemetery can look with flowers and people all over. All in all it was a great day...productive and fun. Hopefully it provided enough reserves to last the remaining two hectic weeks of school...we can't wait for things to slow down.

3 comments:

Jan T. said...

Oh my goodness....scary hike! How come you didn't go? :)

josie said...

I have to admit, I was a little worried about those guys on the mountain. I'm glad they are safe and it looks like they had a great time. Still, I'm glad I wasn't with them. :)

Horsley News said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I'm still sad I didn't get to go up King's Peak with Matt and the boys in '91.

John