Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday Memories: On Eubank and Basin- Getting a baby brother


When I was 5 years old, the summer before I started first grade, my baby brother Chris was born. We lived in the apartments on Eubank. I remember we were not allowed in the hospital to see him. We had to stand out by the car while my mom held the baby up to the hospital window. She wasn't on the main floor, she was a story or two up, so I remember really having to crane my neck to see the baby. I remember being very excited to have a baby brother. Shortly after Chris was born, so the story goes, our family was evicted from the apartments. My mom and us kids spent some time in Utah with grandparents while my dad found us a new place to live. He found us the great rental house on Basin.....with a little help from some friends. Yes, for those of you that know, here's where Brother Ritchey first enters into my life story. But, that's another story now isn't it. On with my cute little brother. When we moved into our new home, I was lucky to have Chris share a room with me (did I insist or beg?). I don't remember a lot about Chris when he was that little, but I do remember one great story.

During this time my mother really enjoyed doing very intricate Doodle Art Posters. Not the small fuzzy ones that abound now, but the large poster size ones that have tons of details. My mom had finished a beautiful one filled with dozens of colorful butterflies. She hung it in my room just above the crib. As time went by, so did pieces of that poster. I guess she should have hung it a bit higher because, before too long, baby Chris discovered that the poster tasted as good as it looked. I can still picture it now. All beautiful with the whole bottom quarter torn off..somene just got a little too hungry at nap time.

I have always thought myself very fortunate to have a younger brother. Chris and I were always tag along pals....whether I wanted him to be or not:) Over the years, we've been through a lot together. This spring my baby brother will finally be getting married. I am very excited for him. Amazingly, after all these years, I'm still glad he's my little brother.

No comments: