Saturday, May 28, 2011

Makin' Music

This week (month) has been filled with concerts. On Wednesday Miranda sang in her choir concert and Tyler had a band concert in which he had a jazz sax solo in. It was very frustrating to us that the middle school had a concert the same stinkin' night that the high school had one. We had to divide and conquer thus missing one of the performances. What would we have done if I was a single parent? Pick favorites? UGH! Anyway, both concerts were great, but the photos from them were not and I'm feeling too lazy to take the 110 hours to upload the videos. I am so thankful for the AMAZING music programs my kids have available to them.On Thursday night Jacob had his LAST high school concert ever :( Much sadness:( It was his third "last" concert. Two weeks ago he had his last Jazz Band concert, last week he had his last Wind Symphony concert, and then this week he had his last Symphony Orchestra concert--the LAST concert. Yes, the sadness has begun.

Pictured here: The three most AMAZING trombone players I know!

They actually did get best section at the state festivals this year--like I said AMAZING!

Tasha, Jacob, Adam, and Raven

(hey, you can also see Jacob's broken thumb pretty good too)Pictured here: The best bass trombone player in the state, Adam, and the best trombone player, Jacob, with the BEST director in the state, Mr. Clark

What an amazing experience Jacob has been able to have "makin' music" while in high school. We are thankful he has been able to have all the experiences he has. Like I said, the music program at Jordan High School is one of the best in the state. We're thankful we've been able to be a part of it.

At the last few concerts I've had some interesting thoughts. Jacob, and some of my other children, don't consider themselves to be "team" players. They don't play team sports. I've had parents talk to me before about how if I was a "good parent", I would make sure my kids play team sports. Kids learn so much from being a "team" player, from working together to get the win, learning to rely on others to do their part and also to do their part because others are relying on them. I have to admit, at times, I have felt guilty that my kids have not chosen , and I have not pushed them, to participate much in team sports for just those reasons. So, anyway, at some of the last few concerts, as I've sat listening to some pretty dang AMAZING music-both choral and instrumental, I realize... I've been wrong and my kids have been too... they are team players. Pretty AMAZING team players. They work with the other musicians to make the best music possible. They rely on others to play their instruments to the best of their ability just as the other musicians rely on them to practice and play to the best of their ability too. The songs would not be the same without those trombone, sax, clarinet, and alto notes. It's only when all the "players" are doing their "job" and working together that AMAZING music is made.

What an AMAZING discovery:)

1 comment:

amberly said...

speaking as a complete choir dork (that's what i am school to study!), i would argue that being part of a music ensemble is even MORE of a team sport than athletics. but that's just my opinion. :)