Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Door Closes

I’ve never been one that liked closing doors. Just ask my mom and dad. I like keeping my bedroom door open. I’ve never really liked closing the door to certain life events either. I don’t like to say goodbye---to people or places. Sometimes, of course, it’s not too hard. Saying good bye to school work, changing dirty diapers, or an old vacuum was never that hard. The hardest doors to close always seem to involve saying goodbye to friends or leaving something when you are at "the top of your game". When you have to close the door when both of those situations apply, it makes the door quite heavy. That’s how leaving Arizona felt. Even when we knew it was the right, the best thing for us, it was hard.
So, now I’ve come to another one of those hard doors to close. I know it’s the right thing, the best thing, but it’s still hard. SO, after three and a half years I am leaving Pebbles in My Pocket. Today was my last day. Yes, there are tears in my eyes. I have loved working and teaching there. I have made some great friends there too. Not only with other employees but with some customers too. Pebbles has been a great get-away place for me, it hardly ever felt like a job. Where else can you spend an evening helping a famous NBA player make a Mother’s Day gift? Amazing! I remember one time after I had already been there for about a year I was working on a display and a customer came and asked me if I worked there. It took me a few seconds to think "ya, I guess this is work.." What a blessing it was for me to find a way to bring a little extra income in (and yes, sometimes I did bring home more than I spent…) doing something that I love so much---scrapbooking! I loved helping customers design baby or wedding announcements or just helping them find the perfect paper to go with their photos or teaching them a new technique. Pebbles is a great company too. Their philosophy on scrapbooking paralleled mine quite closely and they have GREAT product.

Yummy suckers!! A Pebbles favorite!!

Me, Michelle Kettle, and Dina Croll

Lucky me! Today I got to work with some of my favorites. And bonus! One of my favorite customers I didn't think I was going to get to say goodbye to came in! The Ketttle sisters are regulars for our weekend crop nights. We always know it will be a fun night if they are there. Having these friends there made the day a little easier.

Alissa (that cool teenager I worked with most Saturday nights) and me (ya we took it ourselves)

Goodbye Pebbles!


So, what now? What door will open for me? Who knows. I do plan to spend more time doing professional scrapbooking (ya, I will miss getting the discount on product I use for this). Also, this fall ….when my youngest goes into first grade…I will start substitute teaching. Until then I will spend a lot of time doing our summer activities, vacations, getting ready for girls camp, etc. In general, I will just try to keep as many door open as possible.

3 comments:

angela michelle said...

Ooh substitute teaching! I know your kids will keep you plenty busy, and I know you'll find other great activities to do. You have so many talents to offer!

Stacey said...

It is always hard to say goodbye to something you love. Pebbles will miss you I am sure, but lucky for us, you will be giving your time to kids. We all know you are awesome at that!

Horsley News said...

I didn't know you worked for Pebbles. Was it the Orem location? Sherri worked there when I met her but to this day she's not much of a scrapbooker.

John