Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday Memories: On Eubank-The Naive Tattle-Tale

One of the reasons I blog is to document the goings on in my life. I use my blog somewhat the way I use my journal. However, as of late, I have felt my blog needs a "pick-me-up". It needs more of "me"..if it is, after all, to be a record of me. Here is where "Monday Memories" enters in. On Mondays I will share bits and pieces of my childhood--mostly for me, but you, dear reader can stop in if you so desire. Now, take note of what I said when I first started this blog---I am not a writer. I have NO great desires to ever write a novel. I am not a good speller and I am not good with grammar rules and often tend to write long run on sentences. You will just have to deal with that if you choose to sit and read my memories as I refuse to sit here with a dictionary and an English book to make sure I do it all right.

When I was a teenager/college student I kept a prolific journal. I could tell you a lot of stupid intricate details of those years, but I probably won't. As those years have already been sufficiently covered, I will mostly be recording memories from my earlier years. Events that are not yet recorded. Stories that maybe my children might one day what to know (or maybe not).

So to start with, it might be good to give a bit of background information. I was born in Ogden, UT where I lived for the first few years of my life. My family then moved to Tuscon, AZ. I believe we lived there for less than a year before we moved to Albuquerque, NM. My first, well really, all my childhood memories are from Albuquerque. My parents still live there. I have two older brothers-Russ-9 years older and Bret-5 years older, and one younger brother Chris-6 years younger. Yep, I'm the only girl. So, of course, you will hear loads of tales about the poor picked on girl. The girl, who now, is glad she was raised to be a little stronger than the rest.

Even though I spent all my growing up years in Albuquerque, we did not live in the same house. Every few years we moved--9 houses, all within a 10 mile radius. So, most of my memories, instead of being centered around what year of school I was in, are centered on where we were living at the time. Thus the start of the title. On Eubank. That's where we lived when this memory took place. In an apartment. Near the corner of Montgomery and Eubank. We lived there when I was four, almost 5- a very impressionable age. This is one of my earliest memories.

Me-age 5 with Rusty, Bret, and my cousin (#10 shirt)
On this particular day my brothers wanted to go see a movie. The problem was, they had to take their sweet little sister along with them. Mom made the boys promise to take me to the new Disney or kid movie even thought they really wanted to go see the new action movie "Jaws". It was a short walk to the theater and by the time we arrived I was sufficiently bribed into watching "Jaws". It couldn't be that bad could it? As soon as it was agreed upon that I would get a big popcorn AND a large orange soda, I promised I wouldn't tell mom that we saw "Jaws". The movie wasn't too bad. I thought I handled it well. The person sitting behind me who got the orange soda splashed all over him when the shark head popped out of the bottom of the boat might not agree. I remember being upset that I didn't get to drink all my soda. And here is where the memory ends for me, but my family has filled me in on the details of the rest of the story. On the walk home the boys again reminded me that I was not to tell mom that we went to "Jaws". I again promised I would not. And I didn't. The only thing I kept telling my mom after I got home was "I wasn't scared mom, I wasn't." How she figured out from that that my brothers took me to see "Jaws" I will never know:)

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I am glad you are doing this, Lindy. It will be fun to read your stories.

Larkin Legacy said...

Lindy: I am taking a Personal History Writing class at our adult education center this sememster. I'm doing the same thing. And my goal is one story a week. Keep a small notebook with story ideas in it as you remember things. It will be very helpful. Have fun. You and your family will greatly benefit from what you are doing. Auntie

Stacey said...

Lindy! I love your latest blog entries. The "Jaws" story is so funny! I am proud of Matt on his marathon, and proud of your family for making it through September, and then some, with no electronics. This would be a challenge for us, too. Love the pics of Cole & Tyler! You guys are awesome!