Sunday, October 25, 2009

Winds of Change

Two weeks ago at an evening adult meeting our stake got reorganized. One ward was dissolved and all but one ward boundary got changed. New bishops and bishoprics were sustained. In all but that one ward, there was a blanket release of callings. Yes, I meant what I said. 98% of the stake got released from their callings in one swift move. I, along with many others, thought "did I really hear what I just heard? Everyone released?" Now, we knew a new bishop was coming. It was long over due in fact. Our bishop had served for 7 years and 7 months. Our Relief Society and young men's presidents had served for over 6 years. Yes, it was time for some changes. But, we all were not quite prepared for the drastic changes our stake presidency was now undertaking. Matt was one of the "lucky" 3 in our ward to keep their callings. He is still the ward clerk. We are very pleased with our new bishopric and have no doubt in their abilities. I am sad to be released from being the Young Women's camp director--not so sad to be released from being the bear den leader. So, our poor bishopric, with the ward clerk and executive secretary, have spent hours and hours starting everything from scratch. Seriously, Matt has not gotten home from church before 11pm more than once or twice this week and he's not the bishop.
Our ward boundries didn't change that much. We got about 20 new families and only lost two. I'm glad it wasn't more tragic for our teenagers. I went through a tragic ward split just a year or two after I started going to church. I didn't want that for my kids. I think they will be OK with most of the changes that took place.
Today all wards in our stake only had sacrament meeting--no one else had been sustained to a calling yet. I got called into the bishops office last Sunday and have spent the last week being the only one with a calling in the primary. Ya, that's right. I'm the primary president:) Today I also got two counselors. After spending a few hours with those two great women we have now come up with our ideas for filling all the other positions in primary. Hopefully we will have a teacher or two by next Sunday. So, it will be a busy week getting things changed over..I'm trying not to feel too overwhelmed. And, yes, Angela and Jen I WILL be calling:)

4 comments:

Larkin Legacy said...

Lindy: I got called as the Primary Presdent at age 21 with one kid and one on the way and no car! (back when Primary was during the week)! I had never even been in a presidency, even though I had been a teacher. You'll catch up and you will love it just as I did. Auntie

Kimberly said...

good heavens, Lindy!! Ha ha, you're the primary president!!

Julie Smith said...

I remember that tragic ward split. Oh Scott, how I missed you.

angela michelle said...

Wow what a crazy situation! Do you think they usually do the blanket release that way?!