Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday Memories: On Eubank- The start of an addiction

The first friend birthday party that I remember going to took place when we lived in the apartments on Eubank. It was a party for this boy that I would frequently play with. I can't remember his name or even what he looked like, but I know he lived in the same apartment complex as us, and I know his party was most likely the start of my biggest addiction. No, his party wasn't at the Hershey's factory. Although a close second, that is not my biggest addiction. Some of you already know. You are already saying it to yourselves. Chuck, as I will call him here, had his party at the local ice cream parlor Farrells. Ahhh, what a magical place. I remember getting dressed up for his party. Yes, I was 4, but I distinctly remember putting on a nice dress for this party. So, in my bestest dress, I went to this wonderland of sundaes, countless toppings, and, in my memory, one-man band music and the smell of candy everywhere. The atmosphere there was enchanting. This was one of those places you could order a sundae with 30 scoops of ice cream and 20 toppings. They brought it out to you with drums and much fanfare and I'm sure freebies if you finished it. Does anyone else remember a Farrells Ice Cream Parlor (at least that's how I think you spell it)? I don't remember a whole lot about the rest of this party, but it wasn't my last time visiting that ice cream parlor. Looking back, I'm sure it played a part in me getting my first job at a Baskin Robbins and working for two years at the ice cream parlor Swensen's. It also makes me wonder if that's where my love of ice cream and ice cream parlors started..or did it start even earlier? I will have to ask my parents.

I find it sad that's it's so hard to find a good ice cream parlor these days. Farrell's didn't last long. It wasn't around when I was a teen. Swensen's was the only ice cream parlor in town then....which was still good and better than nothing, but it couldn't hold a candle to the atmosphere Farrell's had. Now, Albuquerque doesn't even have an ice cream parlor. The whole SLC valley only has one that I know of ...Leatherby's. I've often wondered why they don't have them any more. Sometimes I think maybe it's because most people want the healthier version--frozen yogurt. But, that can't be the only reason. There are still plenty of doughnut places, bakeries, and fast food joints around to disprove that. So why? Humm... we may never know.

So, I admit, I am a mom that makes an effort to make sure my kids get to a REAL ice cream parlor at least once a year. It's an experience I want them to have. It might not be as magical as Farrell's was, but it still has magic. There's something about getting the ice cream sundae you ordered and having it be so large you know you will never finish it, but you will sure enjoy trying to. So, if you haven't done it lately--or ever, I say make a trip to an ice cream parlor your next reward for a job well done. I'm sure they will love it......but hopefully it won't start an addiction:)

Doesn't it just make your mouth water?

2 comments:

Julie Smith said...

Yummy! I totally remember Farrells and Swensons. Good times baby!

Kimberly said...

ya I remember a Farrells. Seems like it had red and white stripes on the outside-?