This is me...6 years old and in the first grade. I remember on this particular picture day--my first ever school picture day--even the lunch ladies complemented me on how pretty I looked. Maybe I need my mom as a stylist again because I know she didn't even use "bump-it's":)So, as the story goes, sometime in the summer before I started school....(first grade that is because I didn't go to Kindergarten--I was just too smart:)... my family moved into a house on a street named Basin right up by S.Y. Jackson Elementary School. It was a nice house in a cul-de-sac and it backed up to miles of empty space. And no, that empty space no longer exists. My two best friends at the time were Paula and Chris, they were sisters that lived just down the road from me. Chris was my age and Paula was a year older. One of our favorite things to do was to go explore that empty space behind our houses. We would make big plans for our Saturday mornings. We would make maps to where we wanted to go explore and pack bags of snacks for us to eat along the way. Each week we would add new areas to our existing maps. I remember being filled with the thrill of adventure each week as we set out. Of course, this is exactly the type of thing I would never let my 6 year old do now....funny how times change. I remember one day of exploring quite well. We decided to set out early--exactly how early I don't remember, but early enough that we planned to take breakfast food for our snacks. Paula...or Chris thought we should take hard boiled eggs along. What a great idea. They would taste great on our adventure. So, off we went. After awhile we decided to stop and have our breakfast picnic. Paula went to crack the egg to start peeling it and, yep you guessed it, the egg was NOT hard boiled. It splattered all over. After our initial surprise, we had a great laugh. We learned that eggs might not be the best snack to take out on an adventure.

5 comments:
Fun memories, and great pictures! A lot of my favorite things to do as a kid I wouldn't let Katelyn do now. It's kind of sad that she gets to miss out on the fun exploring and running around by herself. Oh well.
What a funny story. Your right I would never let my kids do all the cool stuff I got the freedom to do as a kid. It's sad how times have changed.
I love the top picture....look at your hair....it's right back in style now...straighter bangs with a little boofyness in the back!:)
Wow Lindy! Just catching up with your posts! I think you should go back to your 1st grade hairstyle, what do you think? I remember some funny exploring times as a youngster. Primarily, taking along an MJB coffee can to pee in. I don't know why we couldn't just go in the dirt.
I also love your new bed and quilt!
Finally, congratulations on your calling as Primary President. They picked the perfect person for the job!
What a cutie. Makes me want to dig out some of my old pictures.
Post a Comment