Our Plan:
No TV, game cube, Wii, or computer/Internet games. We could watch a movie together AS A FAMILY every once in awhile or watch a BYU football game together. We also allowed the kids to use the computer for homework and for 20min of checking emails/facebook but with no games.
The Result:
The results were kind of surprising. The one "addicted" child actually handled it pretty good. We achieved desired results there. He became very creative in using his time. He spent a lot of time playing outside--like a boy his age should be doing. He didn't even pull the trick that he has in the past and spent all his time at his friends houses playing electronics there. Friends came here just as often as he went to their houses. One of the things I quickly came to realize though is that creativity is messy! Watching TV or playing video games really doesn't make as much of a mess as using your brains. Here's a look at a few scenes I saw on a daily bases.
*I guess this is a town designed especially for the stuffed animals.......
*Kenex (pictured here) and piles (or snowdrifts--thanks for that idea Angela) of Lego's were a daily sighting.So, the plan worked for the one who we thought needed it most. We did discover however that another child had apparently hid their addiction to electronics from our view. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when mom and dad followed through on our plan--even several weeks into it. Oh the joys! I'm not sure if this child's addiction was taken care of, but at least this addiction was/is not interfering with school and the social life of said child.
For me, it was not a problem. For Matt, a little more so. One of the hardest times for us was not getting to turn on the TV after the kids were all tucked in bed. Our nightly down time. We got a few more chores done, read a little to each other, but mostly, just got to bed earlier..or should I say..on time.
Now What:
So, now it's back to our usual school year electronic rules...no TV or gaming Sunday-Thursday. Friday and Saturday are free after chores are completed and as long as you take time out to engage your brain and enjoy the world around you every hour. Hopefully they will choose to use their brains and enjoy the world around them a bit more now that they have had all this practice .
Needless to say, the two little boys were up this morning anxious to get their chores out of the way so they could quench the drought of their fingertips. Their thumbs really need to get back in shape. Mario has really missed them:)
2 comments:
you are a better woman than I. Our TV rarely goes off at all. Jerry and Rebekah even use it as a night light.
I think we need an electronics fast around here too. But I'm thinking just the computer--we don't really have TV issues so much. I do think the computer somehow erases the kids' ability to think of fun things to do.
Post a Comment